Do you or a neighbor need A Brush With Kindness?
A Brush with Kindness is a program that helps preserve homeownership by partnering with homeowners struggling to restore and maintain a safe and decent place to live. When basic expenses exceed income month after month, home maintenance is the usual casualty. Years of deferred maintenance can cause a downward spiral of home deterioration and unsafe living conditions.
- Are you living in challenging circumstances, which have created issues that are beyond what you can handle on your own?
- Are you struggling to keep your home in livable condition?
- Have you had to choose between paying for food, medication, taxes, and basic utilities?
- Are you facing city code violations or homeowner insurance cancellation due to the condition of your home?
- Must complete Homeowner Application
- Family income must be under 60% of the Twin Cities’ Area Median Income (AMI) (see chart to the right)
- Homes must be owner-occupied
- Scope of work must match program resources
- All able-bodied homeowners and residents of the home are required to work alongside volunteers
- Homeowners are expected to be cooperative partners with staff and volunteers
- Homeowners are asked for financial pledge to the A Brush with Kindness program on larger projects—payable when they sell or refinance their home
A Brush with Kindness is about connecting people and restoring homes through simple acts of kindness so that homeowners can once again live in a safe and decent home.