Even one family without safe, stable, affordable housing is one too many, but the need is much greater than that.
Currently, one out of four Minnesotans spends more than 30% of their income on housing, leaving less for healthy food, school supplies, and savings. Thankfully, that leaves three in four Minnesotans who can help - including you.
The Twin Cities are in an affordable housing crisis with the triple threat of rising rents, flatlining wages, and extremely low vacancy rates. And these housing challenges disproportionately impact families of color. While Minnesota has one of the highest homeownership rates in the country, it also has one of the widest racial homeownership gaps.
- Health: Inadequate housing negatively impacts health, especially for kids. After moving into Habitat homes, asthma and allergies are two conditions that dramatically improve in children.
- Economic prosperity: A healthy housing market attracts businesses that depend on a range of housing options for their employees.
- Education: Providing stable, healthy housing is one of the most effective ways to help low-income children do better in school.
- Transportation: When people can find good, affordable housing near their work it decreases the demands on our transportation system, reducing congestion and commuting costs.
- Environment: Habitat’s commitment to green building results in energy-efficient homes that are more affordable to maintain.
Habitat homeownership contributes to healthier families, greater success in school, more economic opportunity for families, and revitalized neighborhoods. In 2015, we partnered with Wilder Research and Habitat for Humanity of Minnesota to understand the impact of our work. The outcomes are remarkable. Of the Twin Cities Habitat homeowners who were surveyed:
- 65% say their kids’ grades have improved
- 74% are more confident about paying for college
- 41% have to go to the doctor less now
- 92% have an adult family member who has returned to school or is planning to return
- 90% feel better about their children’s futures
- 80% feel connected to their community
This data proves what we’ve always known about Habitat homeownership—the positive effects ripple to every area of a family’s life and the impact multiplies for generations. For recent stories about families who partner with Habitat, check out our blog: