Twin Cities Habitat has long been dedicated to building safe, decent, affordable homes. Our Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative (NRI) expands on this vision to build vibrant, safe, and inviting communities. The NRI concentrates our building, repair, and community engagement efforts in the Frogtown-Rondo neighborhood of St. Paul and on the North Side of Minneapolis to produce a greater overall impact. We continue to strengthen our partnerships with local organizations on top of our construction work to help build sustainable change throughout the entire community.
Here are some exciting highlights from our recent work:
- In Frogtown, we have built or rehabbed five homes and have completed three ABWK projects to date.
- In Jordan, we have built three homes and completed one ABWK project to date.
- In the fall, we partnered with Frogtown Rondo Action Network and Frogtown Rondo Home Fund on a Housing Resource Guide. This is helping residents in the area get connected with the housing services they need, from emergency youth housing to homeownership.
- In February, we held a community event with Hawthorne Neighborhood Council, The Northside Home Fund, and Project for Pride in Living for residents of the EcoVillage in Hawthorne. Habitat families and other neighbors came together for food, crafts and activities, and overall community building.
- This summer we will be completing a follow-up Neighborhood Assessment in the Frogtown focus area. In July, we will present our findings and we welcome you to attend one of our presentations.
- In 2014, we will build two homes and complete two ABWK projects in Frogtown.
- We will also build four homes and complete two ABWK projects in Jordan.
- We will again participate in community events such as National Night Out, Open Streets, and the EcoVillage Garden events.
Stay tuned to learn more!