April 1, 2022 Update: Masks are now optional regardless of vaccination status for all staff, volunteers, and visitors to our ReStore Home Improvement Outlets, offices, and construction and repair sites. As with all COVID-19 protocols, mask requirements may change based on case counts and public health guidance. Read on for safety protocols and view our COVID-19 response landing page for updates.
If you've ever volunteered with Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity, you know safety is our top priority. And that's remained true during the pandemic. On construction sites and at ReStore Outlets, our staff and volunteers have been diligent about following our ever-evolving COVID-19 safety protocols. If you were one of those people, THANK YOU!
Please read on to see all of our current COVID-19 safety protocols, which are also updated on our Coronavirus Response page.
Be Fully Vaccinated or Get Tested
All volunteers must indicate that they have either been vaccinated or have tested negative for COVID-19 within 48 hours of each time on site. All individual and group volunteers must pre-register on Habitat’s scheduling tool (VolunteerHub) before your volunteer shifts to abide by this policy. By showing up to your volunteer shift, you are indicating that you are fully vaccinated or have tested negative within 48 hours of your shift.
If you need to find a COVID-19 testing location, please visit Minnesota’s Department of Health webpage.
A similar vaccination and testing policy is in effect for our staff and AmeriCorps members. Volunteers are asked to abide by this new policy, in addition to following all current COVID-19 safety protocols, outlined below.
Volunteer safety highlights
- Shorter days. Sites are open 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. to allow more time for deep cleaning.
- Smaller crews. To allow space for social distancing, we’ve reduced our maximum number of volunteers. Depending on the project, there will be a maximum of 8 to 12 volunteers on site at any time.
- Masks are optional, regardless of vaccination status.
- Be vaccinated or get tested within 48 hours of every volunteer shift.
- Wash hands. Handwashing stations are on all sites. You’re encouraged to wash hands often and avoid sharing tools.
- Safe and sanitized. We continue our increased safety and cleaning measures, including social distancing.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Masks are optional, regardless of vaccination status.
- As with all COVID-19 protocols, mask requirements may change based on case counts and public health guidance.
- If you wish to wear a mask, please bring your own or request one from the site supervisor.
- We encourage social distancing of at least six (6) feet between individuals when possible.
- Many construction activities require closer than six (6) feet of distance (framing, scaffold erection and deconstruction, sheetrock, exterior insulation, weather barrier, window and door installation, siding, flooring and cabinet installation). These activities will be present throughout the build.
- Work on separate floors or areas when possible while working on the interior of a home.
- Work on separate parts of the house where possible while working on the exterior of a home.
- There will be a maximum of 8-12 volunteers permitted on site at a time, depending on location or build type.
Stay safe while volunteering
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Habitat will provide adequate handwashing stations at all sites, including those without running water.
- Hand sanitizer is recommended if handwashing is not available.
- Minimize contact with common surfaces (door handles, etc.).
- Each person should use their own set of tools (hand tools, power tools, ladders, power cords, etc.) and materials (screws, nails, etc.) during the course of work where possible.
- Habitat will provide all necessary tools, but you are encouraged to bring your own hand tools if you have them.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover all coughs and sneezes with your elbow.
- In all instances, maintain at least a six (6)-foot distance between people.
- Site staff will sanitize hard surfaces and all tools on site after each work shift.
- ReStore staff will clean and sanitize common areas, bathrooms, carts, and hard top surfaces on a regular basis and as needed. More thorough cleaning will take place during non-access hours.
Expectations for persons exposed to, or exhibiting symptoms, of COVID-19
STAY AT HOME!
Anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 should isolate until a test can be taken. Additionally, the following guidelines are in place for those who have tested positive for COVID-19 or those who have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Quarantine for 3 days – Return on day 4 with no symptoms and a negative test
Quarantine for 7 days – Return on day 8 with no symptoms and a negative test
POSITIVE COVID-19 TEST
Quarantine for 7 days – Return on day 8 with at least two days symptom free and a negative test
Quarantine for 10 days – Return on day 11 with at least two days symptom free and a negative test
If you have any questions, or if you would like any clarification on what meets the above criteria, please contact us before your arrival.
If symptoms appear while on site or after a day on site
- Immediately return home and contact your health care provider as appropriate.
- Notify your Twin Cities Habitat contact and site supervisor that you are experiencing symptoms.
- Volunteer Management will ask who you have been in close contact with in the past two weeks.
- Volunteer Management or your site supervisor will alert those who were in close contact.
- Your health status will remain confidential.
- Site may be shut down on short notice in accordance with Safety Policy.
We've outlined all of our volunteer guidelines in the below PDF documents. If you have any further questions, please contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-305-7114.
View our schedule of volunteer opportunities on VolunteerHub. You'll find a variety of shifts on construction sites or ReStore home improvement outlets.